Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Mantra

When we were younger, we used to have certain priorities (calling up friends on their birthdays; participating in neighbourhood social work; being actively involved in cultural programmes), which really meant a lot to us, which we used to work upon very religiously. And we were truly happy doing so, in spite of the fact that we never received any monetary benefit from those…

But as we grew older and entered into the professional world, our priorities drastically changed, mostly not because we wanted to… but because, if we don’t change our priorities, we’ll lose in the rat race. Then slowly by slowly, all that actually made us content in the past, takes a backseat. And we keep lamenting that those bygone days will never come back, right?

Wrong.

There is a difference between growing old and growing up. We all concentrate on the fact that we have to be successful, rich anyhow and hence resort to a lot of things at times, which we were always told by parents : “ Don’t do it, it’s a bad thing”.

The thin line between good and bad slowly disappears and we feel empowered by doing things that will make us look and feel important by hook or by crook.

Why can’t we see the simple fact :- It is as easy to be good as it is to be bad. A saying so goes – Just because you are pious and will not attempt to kill the lion in front of you, does not mean that you yourself will not get killed by the lion. That is what probably makes us wary, makes us very very cautious.

So, what should be the real mantra for living a “happy” life? As it is, nobody can invent the perfect recipe to happiness. Well, I am no scholar, neither do I intend to sound like one, but if we could just try and apply the following points to our lives. They kind of work for me. Am sure they will for you too :-

1) I love myself; I am special in my own way

2) I know how to forgive and not forget; vengeance and hatred never pays

3) I don’t let anyone dominate me

4) I am never harsh on myself; I accept that I am not perfect and I can make mistakes

5) I listen. To myself and others surrounding me. I try to filter out the negative vibes

6) I find time to do things I love; professional duties will always be there... but I have a strictly personal life set aside

7) I know that I cannot make everyone happy at the same time in any field – professional or personal

All the best for life...Do let me know if this post helps you in any way... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment